The Gaddensen Diary The Gaddensen Society The Gaddensen Diary

Parish Council Minutes

 
Parish Council Minutes
 

Draft Minutes of the last meeting are shown immediately below.
For previous minutes go right to the bottom of this page.

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN THE VILLAGE HALL on
18st September 2017


The meeting commenced at 8.05pm.
Present : Cllrs. Archer, Heaphy, Hyde, Irving, Kelly, Magson; Alastair Greene (Clerk) and six members of the public.
Apologies : Cllr. Hargreaves & County and Borough Councillor Terry Douris

1. FORMALITIES

Vice Chairman Cllr. Rob Irving chaired the meeting.
The attendance register was signed. There were no declarations of interest on items on the agenda.
The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as a correct record of the meeting and were signed at the end of the meeting.

2. OPEN SESSION FOR MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC


Cllr. Irving asked if anyone wished to raise any matters not already covered in the Agenda.
Downie Brown noted that the road markings were poor at the Fourways junction and also asked, in light of the planning application on the garage land, whether the Council would be encouraging Dacorum Borough Council to seek improvements at that junction, which was known to be a dangerous crossroads. Cllr. Irving confirmed that although the Council were still awaiting the details of the application, the draft had shown a removal of the current direct access to the main road from the garage, which removed one of the dangerous elements. He also said that the Council would make comments about the desirability of traffic speed control and possibly a roundabout or lights there. Cllr. Hyde said that now that the road had been re-designated perhaps there would be more likelihood of speed control being introduced. Glenda Cooper felt that it would be easy to misjudge the junction and think that when coming from Pedley Hill one needed to stop at the bollards the far side of the junction, rather than back where the white lines should be.
The Clerk thought that the road had been resurfaced in part and that the markings may have been obscured but said he would report it.

Jim Townsend said he had been asked by Richard Baker to pass on the thanks of the Bede Court residents for the work organised by Cllr Hyde on the Yew Trees at the entrance to Bede Court.
Jim also asked if there was any progress on the project to expand the Car Park adjacent to the Bowls Club. The Clerk confirmed that the agricultural tenancy had been renewed on that land and there was no prospect of this proceeding at least for another year. Jim asked for the matter to be kept on the agenda so that the Council did not lose sight of it.
Jim asked whether there had been any progress from Dacorum Borough Council on the commencement of the Conservation Area Character Appraisals. The Clerk confirmed he had chased Dacorum but that they had replied that they wished to complete five outstanding appraisals before starting the one for Little Gaddesden. Cllr. Magson suggested that Dacorum be asked for a timeline.

Glenda Cooper asked whether for the Open Gardens in June 2018, the Parish Council would give permission for the holding of a Plant Sale on the Green fronting number 49. She said that she had spoken to the Tannetts and that they had no objection. The Council agreed, provided that Glenda accepted responsibility for the safety of visitors to the stall and for any damage done to the Green by them or their visitors and was prepared to reinstate the land to its former condition if so damaged.

Peter Noble expressed his concern about the National Trust’s proposals to clear trees along Princes Riding and asked what consultation they were planning to carry out on this project. Cllr. Magson said it would be useful to know what consultation the National Trust were obliged to carry out generally under their internal rules. Peter wished to correct a statement in the June PC minutes which stated that the Park Liaison Group had a representative from the Golf Club. This was not correct as no representative from the golf club attends these meetings although the Golf Club do hold separate Liaison meetings with the NT and College. The agendas for these two meetings are understandably quite distinctly different.

3. REPORTS AND MATTERS ARISING

(a) Police Report. There was no report available and no comment as to whether PCSO Lee Clements would be able to attend. The Clerk advised he would put the report on the noticeboard and web site as soon as it was received.

(b) Sign off to the changes in the Public Participation Policy.
The Clerk confirmed the changes that had been made and these were accepted by all. The policy was duly signed at the end of the meeting.

(c) Options for dealing with Dog waste.
The Clerk advised that he had received prices from Tbs Hygiene who managed Dacorum’s dog waste contract and Pet Waste Solutions who manage the National Trust’s dog waste contract at the Monument but that in the course of his enquiries had been advised that it was acceptable now to use conventional bins for dog waste. The Clerk suggested that consequently there might be other solutions than the standard contractors. The Clerk confirmed that Terry Douris was awaiting an update from Dacorum’s Clean and Green team on an alternative idea of the provision of additional bins for the problem areas – the Bridgewater Arms to Ringshall Drive footpath and the pub to Bede Court footpath. Cllr. Irving asked for a report to be presented at the next meeting so that a decision could be made.


(d) Electricity on the Green project.
The Clerk confirmed that UKPN had scheduled 16th – 17th October to do their connection and that the cabinet would be delivered the week before that date for installation. Cllr. Hyde kindly offered to take delivery of the cabinet due to the proximity of her house to the Green. The Clerk confirmed that E-on would confirm the meter installation date shortly but that all dates remained subject to receipt of planning consent.


(e) Maintenance responsibilities around the Village Hall and thanks for hedge trimming
The Clerk thanked Janet Stupples and her friend on behalf of the Parish Council for kindly trimming back the overgrown hedge between the Village Hall and Peel House. Thanks were also passed on to Jim Townsend and George Godar for their good work on the hedges along Nettleden road.

The Clerk explained that he had met with David Brattle and Fiona McWilliams to look at a more regular programme for the maintenance work of the land surrounding the Village Hall. The buildings were clearly down to the Village Hall Management Committee (VHMC) to manage but the surrounding land was managed in an ad hoc way and both parties felt it would be useful to regularise that activity.

Some areas were already clearly defined:-
The VPA were responsible for managing the area leased to them, their store, the garden between the store and the car park and the grassed area between the store and the hall.

The Pre-School were responsible for managing the surfaced and grassed play areas within the fenced off area and the small children’s garden beyond the fence.

The small grassed area to the west of the hall (containing the wooden bike racks) were now being cut by Malcolm Weaver of MW Agri and the rest of the back area excluding the pre-school garden needed cutting back a few times a year. Glenda Cooper advised that the Scouts had occasionally paid for someone to trim back the vegetation in that area, but it was agreed that the Parish Council would manage that for the future.

Cllr. Hyde had included the trees in her Annual Tree Condition Survey but agreed to add the tree in the hedge to that survey. There was no known history of maintenance of the rear hedge to the horse field.
The School maintains the hedge and trees bordering the access road.
The Clerk advised that he would be confirming these points with the VHMC for future reference and that the maintenance costs would need to form part of the future budgeting process. It was confirmed that the VHMC had been allocated £3,000pa historically and that the Parish Council had decided at the last Finance meeting to increase that sum to £3,170 due to an increase in the concurrent funding last year.

(f) Flooding on the Nettleden Road due to raising of the road surface level
It was agreed that this matter would be raised with Cllr. Douris at the next meeting. It was suggested that Cllr. Douris should be asked on what basis budget funds were allocated to projects.

(g) Verge from Cromer Close to Home Farm and drop kerb request
The Clerk confirmed that much of the verge cutting had been completed and that a resident who had previously asked for this work to be done had telephoned to thank those involved for the great improvement. The small area of grass ‘siding out’ near Home Farm remained outstanding. The Clerk confirmed that Cllr. Douris had agreed to fund drop kerbs at Cromer Close. The Clerk was asked to check with Cllr. Douris if he had confirmed this with Jane Bunting, who had requested this action.

(h) National Trust response to Ringshall flooding & NT proposals for the Monument Car park
Cllr. Irving read out the response to the request for help from the Parish Council and the Clerk advised that he was working with Cllr. Douris to provide the information the NT had requested in its response.
The Clerk advised that the National Trust had asked to present their proposals for the Monument Car Park at the October Parish Council meeting. Councillors suggested that ahead of that meeting the Council should give some thought to the sort of questions that might be raised and give the NT the list of issues. The Clerk, Cllr. Irving and Cllr. Heaphy agreed to meet to prepare the list. Such matters to include traffic management at peak times, fly parking, level of charges, times of gate operation, planned signage, etc.

(i) Protection of the old trees on the Meads fields, Church Road
Cllr. Hyde advised that Jilly Scriven was going to act as the temporary nursery for Oak saplings and asked anyone who had any small oaks they wished to donate to let her know. In the meantime, Cllr. Hyde advised that she would be seeking the support of the Woodland Trust or others for Tree protection barriers against sheep, deer and rabbits before putting the proposal to the owners. The two tenant farmers had already agreed to the proposal.

(j) Response from consultees on the Grass clamp
The Clerk confirmed that the grass clamp was needed and was used by the Cricket Club and Bowls club for grass cuttings. It was felt that the nuisance of seepage and flies might be reduced through relocating the clamp to the nearby concrete slab at the far end of the Bowls Club fence which was away from the kitchen area and away from the footpath entrance to the playing field. The cost for the relocation, which could be carried out by MW Agri, would be c. £350 + vat. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk should write to the clubs asking for their agreement to the proposed new location and asking them to share jointly in the cost of the relocation. To minimise seepage it was also suggested that the clamp be emptied more frequently.

(k) Election boards
The Clerk advised that he had not mentioned under ‘Correspondence’ at the last meeting an e-mail from Jim Townsend, who was concerned that an election board had remained in position longer than necessary and Jim had wondered whether the enforcement Officer at Dacorum Borough Council needed to be notified. Jim was present at the meeting and said that he was concerned in case the board set a precedent for others. The Clerk confirmed that the issue of boards that advertised events had been brought up previously in connection with the Gaddesden Gallop. Cllr. Irving advised that he had taken advice and that the recommended maximum period for removal after an election was 2 weeks. As the board had been removed quickly when requested, it was agreed that no further action was necessary.

(l) Cromer Close Play Equipment
Cllr. Hyde advised that she had been liaising further with the Cromer Close residents as they had been struggling to find sufficient space to add the new equipment. As a result, they were considering an option of removing the old two swing unit and replacing them with a new four swing unit. Cllr. Irving asked if Cllr Hyde could bring a costed proposal, approved by the residents, to the next meeting so that the Council could decide whether to proceed.

4. ADMINISTRATION
Correspondence

The Clerk advised he had received a number of items of correspondence which he summarised as follows:-
Thanks received from Alun at the Bowls Club for weeding the new hedge on the playing field along the Bowls Club boundary. This matches the work that the Bowls Club had carried out on their own hedge on the other side of the rink and should help the hedges to grow unrestrained.


Jim Townsend had noted a minor depression in the road opposite the shop where the kerbs had been installed. It was agreed that the road level would be monitored for any deformation.


Ray Edwards, agent to the owner of John O’Gaddesden’s House confirmed that his client had no objection to the proposal to install the electrical cabinet in the hedge outside the property.


Robert Clark, Abigail George, Jane Dickson & Mandy Haynes had all volunteered to support the litter initiative on Hudnall Lane.

Glenda Cooper advised that she wished to carry out works to the tree at the end of her garden which bordered the Cromer Close play area and sought the view of the Parish Council. Cllr. Hyde agreed to look at it when meeting the Clean and Green team there re the grass cutting regime and involve Glenda in the meeting. It was acknowledged though that the Parish Council has no ownership responsibility re trees at this location.

Eloise Smart and separately William Martin expressed concern about the speed of traffic at the Ringshall junctions with Northchurch Road and Nettleden Road and noted that the electronic speed warning signs were not functioning correctly. It was agreed these would be reported to Hertfordshire County Council and the safety of this stretch of road brought to the attention of County Cllr. Douris.

Jane Tilley asked whether the Council shared her concern about noise levels from planes leaving Luton Airport. The Clerk confirmed that the Council followed the work of the LLATVCC and sent her the minutes from the last meeting. Cllr. Archer confirmed that she had that responsibility in her portfolio.

Fiona Masters noted that there was a milestone opposite her house that was being buried in the hedgerow and asked if it could be relocated and preserved. At the meeting George Godar mentioned that unfortunately he was aware of a case where a milestone had been made more visible and had resulted in the theft of the stone, so he was concerned about the possible threat to this piece of village history.

Finance
a. Cheques approved:-
Clerk & Village Hall Manager – Salary & PAYE for Sept
Trading Limited – £220 plus vat – Warden Services (Sept invoice)
MWAgri – £685.50 plus vat Sept invoice
Clerk – Petty cash – £61.98
UK Power Networks - £949 plus vat Electrical supply
Church funds contribution £1,000
BDO External Audit £200 plus vat
Peacock Tree Ecology £470 plus vat
LucyZodian Electrical cabinet £1282.20 plus vat
Dacorum Borough Council £97.50 Planning Fee
Caloo Ltd £424 plus vat Swing seats

b. Cheques/payments received
LGVH Management Committee - Village Hall Manager salary

c. External Audit
The Clerk confirmed that the External audit had been signed off satisfactorily with the accounts being one pound out due to rounding. The completion of the audit would next be advertised on the notice board and web site as required under the regulations.

PLANNING SCHEDULE - CURRENT APPLICATIONS (status at 15th September, 2017)
(Red text show changes since previous meeting)

BLUE COTTAGE, RINGSHALL ROAD, RINGSHALL, BERKHAMSTED, HP4 1ND. WORKS TO TREES. 4/03305/15/TCA. No objection from LGPC, DBC decision awaited

WHITE MEADOWS, NETTLEDEN ROAD NORTH, DETACHED TWO-BAY CAR PORT. 4/00327/17/FHA. Objection by LGPC, no decision by DBC.

27 NETTLEDEN ROAD NORTH, CONNECT ANNEX BUILDING TO MAIN HOUSE, INTERNAL ALTERATIONS TO LISTED BUILDING ANNEX, CONVERSION OF FIRST FLOOR FLAT ROOF TO PITCHED GABLE, INSTALLATION OF REAR FACING DORMER TO ALLOW ROOF CONVERSION. 4/01249/17/FHA & 4/01250/17/LBC. No objection from LGPC, DBC Decision awaited

HAWTHORNES, HUDNALL LANE, TWO STOREY REAR EXTENSION, SINGLE STOREY REAR EXTENSION, REPLACEMENT OF EXISTING SIDE EXTENSION, SINGLE STOREY SIDE EXTENSION, CONVERSION OF EXISTING INTEGRAL GARAGE INTO A BOOT ROOM/UTILITY ROOM, CONVERSION OF ROOF SPACE, CONSTRUCTION OF GARDEN ROOM/ BIKE STORE AND GARDEN STOREY. 4/01322/17/FHA. LGPC objected to original proposal but removed the objection on the basis of amended plans, Granted by DBC

11 RINGSHALL ROAD, RINGSHALL DEMOLITION AND REPLACEMENT OF A SINGLE STOREY REAR EXTENSION, DEMOLITION AND REPLACEMENT OF DETATCHED GARAGE, INTERNAL ALTERATIONS AND REPAIR WINDOWS AND DOORS TO FRONT ELEVATION. 4/01561/17/FHA & 1562/LBC. No objection from LGPC, DBC decision awaited.

WITCHCRAFT HILL, RINGSHALL DRIVE. CONSTRUCTION OF GARDEN MACHINERY STORE AND HORSE FEED STORAGE AREA. 4/01065/17/FUL. Objection from LGBC, DBC reviewing

ASHRIDGE HOUSE, REMOVE EXISTING GATE AND USE INFILL MATERIAL TO RESTORE TO ORIGINAL CONDITION. INSTALLATION OF NEW GATE. 4/01633/17/LBC. Supported by LGPC, Granted by DBC

2 THE LYE, SINGLE STOREY REAR EXTENSION. 4/01746/17/FHA Supported by LGPC,
Granted by DBC

CHRISTMAS HOUSE, NETTLEDEN ROAD NORTH, INFILL OF EXISTING COVERED REAR PORCH TO CREATE PANTRY. SMALL LEAN-TO EXTENSION TO EXISTING OAK FRAME OUTBUILDING. 4/01765/17/FHA. Supported by LGPC to review, DBC to review.

27 RINGSHALL ROAD, RINGSHALL, SINGLE STOREY SIDE EXTENSION. NEW RAISED MEZZANINE AND PITCHED ROOF. 4/01862/17/FHA. No objection from LGPC, Granted by DBC

11 RINGSHALL ROAD, RINGSHALL, LIKE-FOR-LIKE REPLACEMENT FRONT AND REAR WINDOWS AND FRONT DOOR. 4/01867/17/LBC. No objection from LGPC, DBC to review.

9 BRIDGEWATER COURT, REPLACE LEAKING BATHROOM SKYLIGHT AND SURROUNDING ROOF SLATES. 4/01936/17/LBC. No Objection from LGPC, Granted by DBC.

Additions since last meeting:-
PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD, EXTENSION OF EXIING SINGLE STOREY VESTRY BUILDING ADJACENT TO THE CHURCH. EXTENSION OF LINK BETWEEN VESTRY AND CHURCH BUILDINGS. CONSTRUCTION OF GLAZED ROOF AND WEST END WALL. PARTIAL GLAZING TO EAST END WALL OF LINK AREA. 4/02048/17/FUL & 4/02049/17/LBC No objection from LGPC. Decision awaited by DBC

Information to share / Items for the next meeting
Cllr. Hyde advised that she was in discussion with several folk about establishing a Youth Computer Club at the Sports pavilion and planned to start it in February

The Clerk asked whether he could purchase litter picking sticks and reflective jackets, total cost of c. £8 per person, for the volunteers the Parish Council was recruiting for the Hudnall Lane project. This was agreed.

Cllr Irving tabled the notes of the first meeting of the Village Hall Improvement sub-committee. Renovation and renewal in the kitchen had emerged as a priority and the VHMC were seeking quotations for the work. Once received there would be an appeal for funds.
Next meeting is on Monday 16th October.

The meeting closed at 10.15pm




Minutes for the previous months

August 2017 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes August 2017 draft.doc
July 2017 - No meeting
June 2017 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes June 2017 final.doc
May 2017 (Meeting of the Electorate - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc. apm mins May 17.doc
May 2017 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes May 2017 docx.doc
April 2017 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes April 2017 docx.doc
March 2017 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes March 2017 final docx.doc
February 2017 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes February 2017 docx.doc
January 2017 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes January 2017 docx.doc
December 2016 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes December 2016.docx
November 2016 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes November 2016.docx
October  2016 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes October 2016.docx
September 2016 - https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes Sept 2016.docx
August 2016 - No meeting
July 2016 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes July 2016.docx
June 2016 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes June 2016.docx
May 2016 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes May 2016.docx
May 2016 (Meeting of the Electorate) https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc. apm mins May 16.doc
April 2016 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes April 2016.docx
March 2016 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes March 2016.doc
February 2016 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes February 2016.doc
January 2016 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes January 2016.doc
December 2016 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes December 2015.doc
November 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes November 2015.doc
October 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes October 2015.doc
September 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes September 2015.doc
August 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes August 2015.doc
July 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes July 2015.doc
June 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes June 2015.doc
May 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes FINAL May 2015.doc
May 2015 (Meeting of the Electorate)https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc. apm mins May 15.doc
April 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes FINAL April 2015.doc
March 2015      https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes march 2015.docx
February 2015 https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes february 2015.docx
January 2015   https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc minutes january 2015.docx

December 2014   https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/186440/lgpc. minutes december 14 final.doc

How to get in touch…

Gaddesden Society President
Trevor Fernandes 01442 843498

Gaddesden Society Honorary Secretary
Mandy Haynes 01442 842496
mandy.haynesco.fsnet.co.uk

Gaddesden Society Treasurer
Phil Heaphy 01442 842283
philiph@audiolink.co.uk

Diary Editorial Team

Editors
Phil and Rachael Heaphy 01442 842 283 philiph@audiolink.co.uk

Advertising
Emma Thon
emmastein@hotmail.com

Distribution
Genny Snowdon 01442 843834

Newsletter
Sign up to for news and alerts to be kept informed about what we're doing and when. Click here to subscribe. (opens in a new window)

© 2012 The Gaddesden Society. All rights reserved.

Terms & Conditions & Privacy Statement.